thehappybooker

Happy Booker

Audiobook Junkie, Sporadic book blogger, occasional master chef, soccer mom, wearer of pajamas, teller of tales, cool aunt, beloved wife, and loyal friend.

Everneath

Everneath -

This gorgeous cover and the intriguing summary had me super eager to get my hands on this debut novel by Brodi Ashton. Unfortunately it ended up being a bit less than what I was expecting. I love books that are based on mythology and are a bit dark, so when I saw that this was described as a reimagining of Hades and Persephone, I was quite excited. I don’t think this really lived up to any version of the Hades/Persephone story that I have ever read. First of all, I thought that it lacked the passion and emotional depth necessary to compare with that mythological couple. My main issue with Everneath was the writing style. Each chapter seemed to jump back and forth from past to present making it really hard to follow the story or connect in any real way with the characters. There were a lot of questions that were left unanswered and many things left unexplained by the end. I thought the characters were either unlikable or in Jack’s case, likable but boring. I will say that the last bit of the book was much better than I was expecting after how frustrated I was by the beginning. In short, Everneath was simply not for me. There have been many other people who really enjoyed this book though! Check out Lisa’s review at The Nocturnal Library for a more in depth and positive take on Everneath.